Sunday, July 20, 2014

Bubbling Over


Oh the swirls and whirls of walking out of the wardrobe into the other world and nothing's stopped but everything has changed.

It's been so good to be back. We have been here for just over 2 weeks and every minute counts. Every opportunity to play. To talk. I find myself asking my head and my heart if I can absorb the time here any more than I am.

Yesterday ended a week in Waco with dear friends. Five giggling girls, two mommas and a dad who couldn't help but see the love spilling over. We pulled out of the driveway and two little girls ran the block following the car and waving. Tears running down all the little cheeks. Heartbreak hurts. Investing in people, loving and being loved all has a cost. I tell Lilly it's ok to love so bad it hurts to leave. She looks down and can't talk about it. The long car ride back to Memphis was easy. 10 hours of good songs and crooked neck naps. We arrived back to GranMary's arms with more memories and happy hearts. Last week in Waco was the most normal we've had. Driving down the old streets we know, sitting across the table from friends, effortless time together. We ate at our favorite places, swam at the old Y, ran in Cameron Park, grilled with our tight knit life group and drank coffee with the ones we love. It was like filling up a gas tank until the gas bubbles over and sprays out. Our hearts are full. We loved every minute of being with friends. A lot of laughter and tears and not knowing when it will happen again. But somewhere in between Texarkana and Little Rock I found myself shifting from the sad-to-leave stage to so-thankful-for-friends focus. Gratitude is a gift in itself. So much to be thankful for. Lilly said, "I'm just glad to have friends who know English." I agreed and I find myself immeasurably thankful to have friends to go back to.

One of those days JT took all five girls and gave me and Sarah a gift unheard of. A day together playing the friends role and not the mommy one. We had a day of laughter and tears and a lot of "we don't ever get to do this" smiles. We had the conversations that go deeper than the fragmented statements about potty training and clean houses. It's a blessing to have a friend AND the time together. Rarely are both available on the same day but Saturday was an exception. And a magical one at that.

The week before brought the same heart-filled moments with Biz' wedding. The girls made memories with grandparents and I got to see an incredible friend marry her best friend. Time is a precious gift. Six college friends around the table and laughter spilling over. It's a gift. I'm learning 11 years after graduation, time together without babies underfoot and jobs in the way, it doesn't come easy or often. We sat in the church at 7 am sipping coffee, watching make up painted on and hair curling. Biz put on the dress and we all cried tears of joy. A lot of prayers answered with that dress and that groom. It's not the wedding weekends it was a while back. Now we have to relieve babysitters and get back to work and our time is cut short. I fit it all in though. A run on the Natchez Trace with Leyna and a dinner with the Copes. Time on the trail and around the table. Time together. Swapping stories. With every moment with a friend or family member I find it harder to travel back through the wardrobe and into life in Haiti. But I'm staying in the present. Soaking up the time.

I also had an afternoon with mom. One where we shopped for things we didn't need and talked about who is getting married and so-and-so's kids growing up. It was an afternoon that in March I didn't know would happen again or not. Conversation flowed about what we're learning and how things are changing us. She's amazing. She's bounced back stronger in Spirit than ever before. It's all been about time. That's a gift when it isn't taken for granted.

The girls are adjusting well. Just after getting to mom's Ava asked to jump on the trampoline and I said there wasn't one here and she disagreed, she walked outside and asked, "where are we?" We've all had a few of the moments. Lilly yelled, "there's grass here!" I've had some moments too.

The Farmer Man comes on Thursday. We're so ready. He is too. Teams will be on someone else's shoulders and we'll be out at the cabin in slow mode. He talked to the girls yesterday. Asking them about their highs and lows. Wanting to squeeze them through the phone. Ava giggled and he melted. He didn't say it. I just knew. He's busy but incomplete without us there. Three weeks apart and the reunion in a couple days will be sweet.

A few more weeks and we'll transition back. Living in the moment and not looking ahead. I don't want to snag on time and lose out.

It's been so good to see some of you. Hold your babies. Hear your heart. Share in God's goodness. We really are bubbling over at having so much to be grateful for.












































No comments: