On Friday our feet touched US soil just before noon. Lilly holding my hand and Ava's remarks in the Ft. Lauderdale airport, "Mom, there are so many white people here." We were another family of a sea of people but we have become accustomed to standing out among the Haitians. The girls wanted grilled cheese sandwiches and after spending more than an hour in customs (with 3 large suitcases, 2 carry ons and 2 carseats) we headed for the terminal. Chili's (which I've never been a huge fan of) was the first place we saw. We went in and the waitress must have laughed over the girls' excitement when she brought them their grilled cheese and french fries. American food! We ventured on with frozen yogurt and a coffee for me to get through the next 12 hours of travel on my 3 hours of sleep. The flying all went as expected and on time. Thank you, Jesus. We landed in Memphis airport at 10pm and were thankful to see family!
Saturday we all faced a little culture shock with the roads so smooth, the neighborhoods so clean, people speaking English, etc. I ran Saturday morning and I'm almost certain I said bonjour to the first person I saw walking past me. At one point Ava wanted to go jump on the trampoline and I told her there wasn't one and then she argued before she stopped and asked "where are we?" I know it must be strange to be whisked off to another place and make sense of it all at age 3. The girls really are doing so well with the transition. I am grateful they live in the moment and see things for what they are. There's no complaining or grumbling about our Haiti life.
My family spoiled us with grilled fish, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. Ava said, "Memphis makes the best watermelons!" The girls and I are enjoying the little things. Trips to Target, church in English, fast internet, central air, being hosted instead of hosting. It's all been such a blessing.
We tried our best when we left to think of everything we would come back to and arrange it accordingly. Although Sunday when we went to get my car out of storage down the street from my parents' house, both keys to the car were across town at my in-law's house. We made the best of it and met a friend at the park. Each conversation with friends and family has lent itself to what I'm learning and how God is teaching me. I love the process of saying those things to others and hearing it for myself.
It was great to see my family and a few friends over the weekend. Mom is still recovering and wears out quick. I asked Lilly if she noticed any differences in Gran'Mary and she said, "No, she's just tired a lot. She takes more naps than Ava." I'm so thankful for mom's recovery and progress. She is leaps and bounds better than when I last left her. We are all praying that she keeps getting stronger and recovers completely. I've never been more thankful for the relationship mom has with the girls than watching them play together this time around and knowing how much of a gift it is for them to be together again.
For the weekend I was using mom's car and mom's phone. It was great but I was looking forward to getting my phone and car working (first world problem). Monday morning Grant helped me get my car out of storage and I was so thankful it would start and worked fine. We made the trek from Collierville to midtown and in route, Lilly says, "Mom, this almost feels like normal." We laughed. She and Ava in the backseat bickering over a toy and me driving in a familiar place and all of it felt more normal than anything else. It was so good to realize a "normal" moment and live in it just that moment and know that it's not really normal for our lives now but it feels good for it to exist in a changing whirlwind of events.
Having dinner with my in-laws and seeing a friend after the girls are in bed were a perfect way to end a Monday. We have so much ahead of us in these adventures but for now we are truly living in the moment. Soaking up the time with friends and family. Being rejuvenated by familiarity. Effortless time with people. Deeper conversations. Girls being able to express themselves in English.
Thank you for your partnership with us on this journey. It's a privilege to share it with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment