It is a long year of reading through the Old Testament for 9 months. I turn the corner around September and I enjoy the last few months of the year in the New Testament. I am savoring all of Paul's exhortations for the last few months. This week has been no exception. This morning I read this and have been thinking about it ever since.
Colossians 1:9-12 And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power according to his glorious might for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins
First I love that Paul says he has not ceased in praying for them. How blessed they are Paul is lifting them up constantly. But not just praying vague prayers! He is praying these specifics for them.
- that you may be filled in all spiritual wisdom and understanding
- walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing him
- bear fruit in every good work
- increase in the knowledge of God
I have been making this mental list in my head as I ran through the wooded island today. Praying, like Paul, these very things ... and praying them for myself. I think wow, that's a hefty list, but I also think God is one who can do all things. I think through them ... what is it like to be filled with all spiritual wisdom and understanding? Am I missing that? I feel at a loss for what spiritual wisdom and understanding most of the time. I read the footnote at the bottom of my Bible that says walking in a manner worthy of the Lord results in:
(1) fruitfulness
(2) increased knowledge of God
(3) strength to endure
(4) thankfulness
I keep thinking if I could just fill my mind with knowledge of God and my heart with strength and thankfulness, the fruitfulness would come. I run a little farther and the name of God, Elohim, comes to me. The one that says God the Creator. I look around and see deer and a lot of Spanish moss hanging from the trees. I want the process to be over and the results apparent.
As I strive to live the life worthy of the Lord and pray for others to, I encourage you to take on the words of Paul and pray it as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment