Today I maced two dogs.
Great start to a day ... two scrawny dogs come barreling out from behind a fence and don't stop until they are nipping at my ankles. I had a rock in one hand and mace in the other. Given their close proximity I didn't think the rock would help, so I sprayed the mace. I figure between the spray and the owner calling them back in, they graciously let me go this time and I picked my heart up out of the gravel road, get it beating again and truck along. It would not have been a good time for me to check my blood pressure.
The scary turned sad this evening when Ava saw me packing a suitcase and she packed herself one. I can imagine her little thoughts in that head thinking, "oh if she's packing, I'm packing..." and there she was with one suitcase bigger than her and complete with baby dolls, toothpaste and a blanket. I wish I could just pack her in there.
Lilly and I travel tomorrow ... we are off for a little fall break ... on our own little adventure! This sad mama is excited to have her eldest along but hates to leave the little one behind. I have left an outfit for each day and lists of instructions as Mr. Farmer and Doctor hold down the fort. The team members agree to help out and the Haitian staff who make up family here are already geared up for "Ava duty."
Tonight as I put a few things in a suitcase, David Crowder's version of the Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow started up and I didn't think twice about it until I walked past the next room and two little voices were singing along. One of which came bursting in and said he's singing the Doxogy like we do. There was a little part of this mama's heart that was smiling that those words are hidden in their hearts at the early ages of 6 and 3.
I am about to get in bed and I think about Madam Olicia from Bible study who didn't get to come today because she saw a snake slither into her mud house and then she couldn't find it. She sent her neighbor the 3 plus miles to tell me she wouldn't be there. He had his pint sized daughter with him and took a seat, figuring he mine as well stay for the study. How does one say no to a man at a women's Bible study when he's walked for an hour to help a neighbor? He sat back out of the circle and listened. The women chime in about how the devil tempts them and what they do to push him back. I think about a dear friend in the study who continues to want prayer that she wouldn't live in sin anymore and I can't understand the repetitive request every week. She wants to help with children's ministry but the Bible talks about sin being sin and where does that leave one choosing it? I get a surprising and disappointing text during the study and my mind wanders from the devil prowling like a lion to things back in the States. The farmer texts me that he's surprised too and can we reverse some decisions that have already been made. I cut the study short when the sky grows dark and the lightning strikes close. I can't concentrate. The ladies have to walk home and I don't want them wet. I am talking about wholeheartedness and in that moment my mind is split in sections over things back home and things here, sisters living in sin and wanting to serve.
We make the phone calls and write the emails about the disappointment, then jump in the truck and take the kind neighbor and another friend to their house. Lilly Cruz spots a rainbow and I smile, 'remember what I told you ... it's a sign of promise ....' We get to Madam Olicia's house. She's been upset all day about the snake that slithered in. She has ripped out all the walls inside her little mud hut and taken down blankets, etc to find that kulev to no avail. Her house is surrounded by barren land and black ashes. The neighbors burned everything around the house and the snakes are still inside. She kneels, desperate, and I pray. Alex interprets. I tell her God sees her pain and knows she has six little babies on the floor in that room too precious for bites. She is close to tears again, I can see she's spilled some over already over those threatening creatures. It's raining and we're late for dinner at the Hope Center. A night and day difference. I think on the way back how hot food is awaiting us there and she can't sleep over snakes hurting her babies. We are practically neighbors and living worlds apart.
Tomorrow we'll step out of here and into there and the bridge is even bigger. In a thankful way I realize I'm so grateful to know both worlds. God made them both and the right people to live in each.
No comments:
Post a Comment