Saturday, April 05, 2014

Back at home in Haiti

It was not a proud moment when I awoke on the second flight Thursday morning trying desperately to avoid all eye contact with the guy next to me because a string of drool going from my mouth to the tray table was proof I had not slept in days and that I had in fact just slept the last two and a half hours leaned over out cold on my tray table in row 24. The guy next to me did say 'wow. That's impressive.' To which I replied 'you wouldn't understand ... ' (and of course he wouldn't).

And just like that I was met with dirt roads and spotty internet. I walked out of the Port Au Prince airport to a sea of dark faces until two little 'blancs' with blond and brown hair made their way to the front screaming 'mommy.' More than one Haitian was watching our embrace. It was a familiar bumpy ride to get home. We arrived home around sunset and as I sat by the two girls on the drive home I realized how I had missed the girls and the Creole chatter and the mountains and the breeze and warm air. And just like that I was back in another world from the one I had just left. slept a hard 12 hours once I landed in my bed that night.

Yesterday we filled the hours with time in the clinic, home schooling, unpacking and baking a birthday cake. I promised Lilly we would celebrate with gf birthday cake when I got back. Yesterday the transition seemed flawless. It seemed so hopeful and cheery.

Today is not realistic. I fell on yet another run and now have bloody palms again. The girls' complaining has increased as nap time did the opposite. Charles and I have discussed responsibilities with the new team and taxes, unfinished paint jobs and grocery lists. The phone rang. I wish it were mom.  Another moment of reality ... But the conversation with grant was optimistic. Mom is healing every day. Grant has taken over the hardest job of telling mom 'no' over and over when she wants to do too much and watching her suffer through the recovery process. She  is finally eating again. She is improving every day and will continue to in the days ahead according to her doctors. I hope we have more phone conversations soon instead of conversations about her. I hate how I waiver between gratitude that she is ok and will recover and sadness over her current state. But it's life as I know it for today and God is good all the time.

For today I am grateful for where God has placed me and hopeful for what the rest of the day, week, and year hold. Please keep lifting us up in prayer. It is an awesome thing to witness miracles firsthand.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I have been wondering about you and will continue to pray for daily grace and new mercies. I love your thankful heart and your delight in the little things in the midst of unending hurdles. Love you dear friend.